[Spambayes] 1.0a6 buggies

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Oct 16 17:30:47 EDT 2003

> First, python-version-independently, there is a slight inconsistency
> between the options of sb_dbexpimp.py and sb_filter.py. Look at this:
[...]
> This inconsistency is functional, not only in the documentation.

This was brought up a while ago on spambayes-dev.  It is a bad thing, and
will probably be fixed at some point - probably not until after 1.0 comes
out, though, since we've frozen the 1.0 branch at the moment apart from bug
fixes, and this might break people's configurations.  Ideally, people should
use the config file to specify whether they want to use a pickle or not.
It's likely (from the spambayes-dev discussion) that the options will change
to -p for a pickle (with the filename immediately after it), and -d for one
of the dbms (again, with a filename immediately after it).

> Second, trying to prevent updating of the python in our mail
> server, I tried to run spambayes 1.0a6 with python 2.2 and
> observed the
> following:
>
> - The trick for True and False as written at the beginning of
>   many files does not work. python 2.2 complains of a name
> error with False,
>   after trapping the name error with True. This works, of course:

This was reported a week or so ago, and has been fixed in cvs.  Hopefully a
new version will be out soon, which will incorporate these fixes (and
others).

> Should I start submitting pathes somewhere?

Yes, but not for these <wink>.  The right place is at sourceforge:
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/spambayes>.  You can either ask the list
whether it's known yet or not, or just open the patch tracker and if it's
already done one of the developers will close it.  Probably the easiest way
to check is to look at the copy of the changelog that's in CVS (especially
once anonymous cvs is back up to speed) which should mention anything
significant (note that there are two sections that are being updated at the
moment - the one for 1.1a1 and the one for 1.0a7).  Alternatively you could
google through the recent posts on the checkins list.