[Spambayes] Installation problem

K. H. Gowranga gowranga at serc.iisc.ernet.in
Mon Oct 20 04:29:38 EDT 2003

Hello,

Thanks for your mail.

> What went wrong with 1.0a6 and 1.0a5?  Or is it these two that give the
> above error and 1.0a4 doesn't?

Yes, you are correct.

> This looks like it's using a combination of the 1.0a4 and 1.0a6 files.
> Using 1.0a4 isn't a solution, really; we need to get 1.0a6 working.  Remove
> the spambayes directory in the Python scripts directory, to be sure that the
> old scripts are gone.  Then redo the "setup.py install" command for 1.0a6.
> Does the install complete correctly?  If you end up with the "no module
> called spambayes" error, but do have the spambayes directory in your python
> scripts directory, try setting the environment variable PYTHONPATH to point
> to that spambayes directory.
>
> =Tony Meyer

I tried all that you have suggested but get the same error:

spambayes : python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_scripts
running install_lib
copying build/lib/spambayes/cdb.py ->
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes
error: /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes/cdb.py: Permission
denied

spambayes :
python sb_filter.py -d ~gowranga/.hammienn.db
python: can't open file 'sb_filter.py'

spambayes: python /usr/local/bin/sb_filter.py -d ~gowranga/.hammienn.db
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/sb_filter.py", line 53, in ?
    from spambayes import hammie, Options, mboxutils
ImportError: No module named spambayes

(The above when created by "root" creates the database without complaining
about the Importerror. Error on "cdb.py" buildup does'nt appear too)

spambayes: echo $PYTHONPATH
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes

The directory defined by PYTHONPATH contains ".py" and ".pyc" files.
Kindly suggest a solution to this. Thanks.

-gowranga