[Spambayes] Problem with SpamBayes folders

Dejonghe, Manuel Manuel.Dejonghe at cycos.com
Wed Oct 22 05:01:20 EDT 2003

As far as I read on this mailinglist so far, it's fairly not enough to
uninstall spambayes if you plan to reinistall it for a brainwash. You
should have (DON'T DO IT NOW!) deleted all files (including
configuration- and database-files within C:\documents and
settins\<username>\application data\spambayes) and settings within the
registry.
DON'T DO IT NOW ! This would delete all settings and already trained
messages. I'm pretty sure you are able to recover it all "by hand". To
brainwash SpamBayes is probably only useful if you are stuck with
Spambayes itself and other (less lethal) measures did'nt work either.
i.E. When it does not respond anymore to clicks on the toolbar, if it
simply doesn't filter anymore or something like that, altough you
already checked it's not simply a deactivated outlook-addin (outlook
itself is able to deactivate addins).

Anyhow, it's most probably easier to reconfigure spambayes yourself by
on one hand using the reconfiguration wizard (which may be not included
in your version. I know version 007 didn't, but 0081 does.) or one the
other hand havinig some work:
- ensure there are the folders you need: some of the installation guides
recommend "Spam" and "Possible Spam". I do not know WHY it's recommended
that way, but I'll always take these names until I really NEED other
names.
- sort / filter at least 5 ham and 5 spam manually.
- train spambayes on these messages
- enable filtering by specifying the folders you created previously
- should be done !

Unfortunately, this does not solve your initial problem of unavaiable
folders. It may reappear at any time, so it is possibly important for
you to NOT delete the spambayes database anymore, or to back it up so
you don't need to retrain every time it happens.

good luck, Manuel