[Spambayes] Anti -Virus

papaDoc papaDoc at videotron.ca
Tue Oct 28 12:36:45 EST 2003

Keith Roos wrote:

>Gentlemen,
>
> Viruses are triggered by  opening an e-mail to read it. That's why it is
>standard practice to  set outlook not to  preview the inbox.
>
>Sure would be slick if your program could determine Spam with out opening
>the e-mail and exposing the computer to viruses.
>

> Manuel's explanation looks fine to me.  SpamBayes opens and reads the
> contents of the message but never executes it, nor does it try to feed it to
> another program which will interpret it.  Any buffer overflow problems would
> have to be in the Python interpreter itself.  At the current time we are
> unaware of any.

What they (Manuel and Skip) means by opening it is not the same as what
you mean by opening it.
Whe  we say "Spambayes open the messages". This means, it is opening the
file on the disk inside spambayes to read the content.

Opening the file in Outlook mean (depending on the extension) starting
an application then the application open the file on the disk.
So if the application is able to run script the script will be executed
and virus like that <wink>.

But the way Spambayes open a file (i.e. don't launch an application just
read the 0 and 1 from the disk) there should be no
problem with virus.

Remi