[Spambayes] Using SpamBayes in a mail relay/gateway?

Thomas Juntunen tmj at juntunen.us
Thu Oct 30 19:29:53 EST 2003

On 10/30/2003, "Andrew J. Coutermarsh" imposed order on a stream of electrons to say:

>I just skimmed through the 9,000 messages in the archive, and I can't find
>much about this, so I thought I'd see if I can find anything out from people
>here.  I also checked the website, so please give this newbie a break. :)

Did you happen to find this bit in the FAQ?
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html#are-there-plans-to-develop-a-server-side-spambayes-solution

>My boss is asking me to give him ideas for spam blockage on a mail gateway
>to our Exchange box.  I'm thinking it can probably just run on some kind of
>SMTP gateway, but the only catch is that it probably will need to be
>Windows-based.
>
>So to make it really simple, all we need is a server that will take mail in,
>filter it, and pass anything that doesn't get filtered out on to our
>Exchange server, which we will then log into.
>
>This is mainly so that we don't have to install SpamBayes on every Outlook
>client we have, and keep it updated.
>
>Is this possible?  Can we do this using current tools?  Are there
>instructions somewhere that will explain to me how I can do it, log into the
>spam filter to double-check messages (or even better, forward them to a
>mailbox of some kind), and maintain it?

That particular FAQ says this:
"The problem with a server-side solution is that everyone has a different idea of what is spam - that's the whole strength of the bayesian-style filtering concept. If you are certain that all of your users would agree on what is spam and what is not, then this might work for you, but otherwise you really have to have individual databases for each user."

And it provides a link to what others have done with server-side SpamBayes.

HTH,
Thomas Juntunen