[Spambayes] I'm a web/php/mysql/javascript programmer and can help with making a snazzy/user-friendly website

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Fri Oct 31 14:22:46 EST 2003

[Dave]
> I'm a web/php/mysql/javascript programmer and can help with making a
> snazzy/user-friendly website

That could be a big help, especially the user-friendly part.  Our website
is not very user friendly, partly because it was written by a bunch of
programmers 8-) and partly because it hasn't kept up with the user base of
SpamBayes.  In the early days, SpamBayes was a research project,
investigating how Bayesian techniques could best be used to classify
email.  These days it's an end-user spam filter, whether it's ready for it
or not!

One of my longer term aims for the SpamBayes Wiki - at
http://entrian.com/sbwiki - was to use it to improve the website.  I
haven't had the time to take this idea any further, but if you (and anyone
else) would like to use the Wiki as a tool for developing an improved
website, that would be fantastic.

Getting users and web content developers involved with authoring the
website sounds like a very good idea to me.  At the moment, updating the
official website is a painful job even for the SpamBayes developers, and
impossible for everyone else, but updating the Wiki is trivially easy.
http://entrian.com/sbwiki/HowToContribute gives a very quick overview.

With a view to kicking this off, I've created an area in the Wiki
dedicated to website improvements:

  http://entrian.com/sbwiki/WebSiteDevelopment

This page, and any others beginning with 'WebSite' that people add, are
for developers and users to sketch out how the website could be improved.

> This beautiful tool has just saved me in so many ways -- THANK YOU!

Always good to hear from a happy customer!

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com