[Spambayes] Initial Start Up Problems

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Mon Sep 1 17:31:31 EDT 2003

> I want to use pop3proxy because its for an assignment and I
> need to demonstrate some understanding of what is going on.

!  Can I ask what the assignment is for?

> I did try to install the plug in but it didn't work.
[...]
>                 AttributeError: 'module' object has no
> attribute 'register'

Ah, yes, I saw this bug (and left it for Mark ;)

> "setup.py install" doesn't work either, even with
> "c:\python23\python, it can't find the file again.

What if you give full paths for everything?  i.e.:
C:\python23\python.exe path\to\spambayes\setup.py install"?

> I tried
> opening install.py with python but it didn't seem to do
> anything.

I guess you mean setup.py, and that would be the result - it'll only do
it's thing if you pass "install" to it as an argument.

> I ran "import sys;print sys.path" from python and got some
> stuff about where python is which looked ok.

Try this from inside Python:
>>> import sys
>>> sys.path.append(-1, "x:\path\to\spambayes")
>>> import spambayes

(Obviously, with both this and the above command, you'll have to replace
the path with the path to whereever you have put spambayes).

> I had tried to use http://localhost:8880 to configure but the
> URL couldn't be retrieved

It'll only work when pop3proxy is running...If it doesn't at that point,
then the best bet is to try running it on a different port
("pop3proxy.py -u 9880 -b", for example).