[Spambayes] Re: Eudora-Using Newbie

Ed Rubinsky edrubins at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 4 17:56:45 EDT 2003

> >Within the Eudora GUI I am supposed to:
>
> > "Configure pop3proxy for each of Eudora's personalities' POP3 servers,
> > specifying a separate port for each. For example 1110, 1120, 1130 and 1140
> > for four personalities. Do the same for smtpproxy - for example 1115,
> 1125,
> > 1135 and 1145 corresponding to the four POP3 servers."

The spambayes part of the configuration is done via a web browser. As you
found out, starting pop3proxy with the -b option starts the browser. Click
on the configuration page link and fill in the appropriate information,
then save it (sounds like you did.)

> > But within the "properties" dialogue for personalities in Eudora there is
> > no "slot" or "text box" or specific place to specify a port.  It seems
> like
> >such a simple instruction but I have no idea where to specify the port
>inside of Eudora 5.2.  This, I think, is the main problem with my
>configuration errors.  If I could know how to do this then I think I could
>make it all work.

Right, You need to make the changes in eudora.ini.

> > However... I tried to use some of my (very meager) background and within
> > Eudora I specified the POP3 server as "localhost:1110" and the SMTP server
> > as "localhost:1115" making the apparently incorrect assumption that all I
> > needed to do was add the colon and a port number in a format that many
> > servers seem to use.

Right again.

> > I ran the "setup.py install" command and that seemed to work as it ran a
> > series of builds and other stuff in the command line window.  Then it ran
> > install scripts creating many .py files including the
> pop3proxy.py.  Then I
> > ran the "pop3proxy.py -b" and the web interface came up stating that I
> have
> > POP3 proxy running on 1110, 1120, 1130 proxying mail to
> > mail.comcast.net:110, etc., for the other 2 accounts. and the SMTP proxy
> > running on 1115, 1125, 1135, etc.

This is the page with the link to the configuration page, but it sounds as
if you have pop3proxy and smtpproxy properly configured.

> > I have modified the eudora.ini file as instructed and the accounts are
> > showing up with properties looking like this: POP3 server=localhost:1110,
> > SMTP server=localhost:1115, and 2 other accounts likewise.
> >
> > However, Eudora complains:
> > "Error getting network address for localhost:1110 - cause: host not found
> > (11001)", etc. for all 3 accounts.

Try changing localhost to 127.0.0.1

> > Being somewhat of a neophyte I am not able to further debug this problem.
>
> > If you can help me directly that's great, or if you can point me to an
> > answer or additional information on "what to do next" after one has read
> > [presumably] all the FAQs, etc.  There may be other things I need to read
> > but I'll be darned if I can find which ones and where.  I'm stuck for now.

Yell if you have problems with these suggestions, if they don't fix your
problems or if they cause new ones ("every solution breeds new problems -
Murphy. :) )

> > Many Thanks!

Glad to help - we are helping, aren't we *8=>).

Best, Ed