[Spambayes] Can I upgrade without losing my training?

Lanny Trager ltrag at optonline.net
Fri Sep 5 14:15:51 EDT 2003

First, I must apologize to my fellow list members for the paucity of details
regarding my specific setup.

I humbly and profusely apologize.

I am running SpamBayes on RedHat 9 with the latest RedHat kernel
(2.4.20-20.9), using Kmail and of course pop3proxy.

I was until this morning running "spambayes-1.0a4", I have upgraded to
spambayes-1.0a5 and so far all of the problems that I was having seem to have
been resolved by the upgrade.

In spambayes-1.0a4 I first noticed that not all of my incoming e-mail was
showing up on the review page.  Some would show up after I went to the config
page and hit the save button.  I had trained 42 ham and 42 spam by pasting
the source including full headers into the Train on a message box.  SpamBayes
was not doing very well in catching spam though.  This just didn't jive with
what I had read about SapmBayes so I started searching the mailing list
archives for a clue.  It was begining to look like my database was corrupt.

Having found some messages that suggested that my system might be using
Dumbdbm and that that was not the preferred database, I downloaded
which_database.py and ran it.  It  told me that I had Pickle, Dumbdbm,
Dbhash, and Bsddb available.  But claimed that my storage hammie.db was none.

After a bit of fiddling, including going back a version to 1.0a3 I managed to
corrupt the database enough so that I no longer got the X-spambayes: ham -
spam or unsure.  I was now getting X-Spambayes-Exception:
exceptions.AssertionError() in probability() at
spambayes/classifier.py line 307: assert hamcount <=nham

This was actually helpfull to me, the mystery was over, the database was
definitively currupted.  By then I had subscribed to the list and recieved
notification that 1.0a5 was available.

This morning, I started from scratch with 1.0a5 and all seems well so far.

Lanny

--
/"\
\ /