[Spambayes] DB_RUNRECOVERY error

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun Sep 7 16:51:58 EDT 2003

    Sean> I have been using Spambayes on Linux happily for about two months
    Sean> now.  I stopped the process for a machine reboot about 10 days
    Sean> ago.  Started it up again, all was well.  About 2 days later I
    Sean> started getting this:

    Sean> Exception bsddb._db.DBRunRecoveryError: (-30982, 'DB_RUNRECOVERY:
    Sean> Fatal error, run database recovery -- fatal region error detected;
    Sean> run recovery') in <bound method _DBWithCursor.__del__ of
    Sean> <bsddb._DBWithCursor instance at 0x404a37ec> ignored

    Sean> 1) what could have caused it?
    Sean> 2) how can I fix it?

I've been in touch with the Sleepycat folks about this.  I believe the
problem is that the way Python's bsddb module opens a database when you call
bsddb.hashopen() is not thread-safe.  You *might* be able to recover the
file using the db_recover command (if you installed Sleepycat's library from
source or have the right packages installed on your Linux system you should
have it), but The Sleepycat folks tell me that's not the right way to do
things.  You didn't mention which SpamBayes app you were using.

I've got some mail from them.  I'll try and dredge it up and post it when I
have a moment.

Skip