[Spambayes] Error running pop3proxy.py

Lanny Trager ltrag at optonline.net
Sun Sep 7 20:23:41 EDT 2003

On Sunday 07 September 2003 18:51, Stephen Boulet wrote:
> I still get the error when I launch it like:
>
>   pop3proxy.py -u 1110
>
> Doesn't seem to be a firewall issue, since stopping the firewall doesn't
> change things.
>
> -- Stephen
>
> On Sunday 07 September 2003 04:04 pm, Richie Hindle wrote:
> > [Stephen]
> >
> > > I still have the problem of not being able to run as a user.
> > > [...]
> > > socket.error: (13, 'Permission denied')
> >
> > On unix, normal users can't bind to privileged ports, which means you
> > can't run the pop3proxy on port 110.  You need to use a high port (over
> > 1024) instead.  You can configure the port through the web interface -
> > see the "SpamBayes Ports" option.  1110 is a popular choice.

Stephen,

The -u flag sets the user interface port which by default is 8880.  Try
"python pop3proxy.py -b" (without the quotes) that will bring up your default
browser.  And start the pop3proxy.

When your browser opens, it should be at the SpamBayes Web Interface: Home.
(If not, point your browser to localhost:8880)

On the upper right hand side of the page there is a link "Configuration page"
follow that link to the configuration page.

The second box down is where you can set the ports that pop3proxy will listen
to.

For instance, I have pop3proxy pointed to two different pop servers, therefore
I have the ports set to 1115,1110 (notice these ports are above 1024).  These
are the ports that you will point your mail client to, and you will point it
to pop3proxy by replacing (in your client) the addresses of the pop servers
at your isp with "localhost", and put that/those servers in the first box on
the config (in SpamBayes) page seperated by a comma.

I hope I am being clear.  If not let me know and I'll stick with you till you
get it working.

Lanny

--
/"\