[Spambayes] Error running pop3proxy.py

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Mon Sep 8 16:22:18 EDT 2003

> Here's another bit of data - netcat seems to let me bind the
> port ("$ nc -l -p 1025" seems to work, though I don't think
> it's supposed to give any output),

It'll output whatever a connection to that port gives.  If you telnet to
localhost:1025 while netcat is running, whatever you type should be
echoed on the screen.

> but the python code doesn't. What's up with that?

If you run "pop3proxy.py -b", then these ports may be bound:
 * port 8880, or whatever you have set in the "html_ui":"port" option.
 * whatever ports you are proxying POP3 servers on.
 * whatever ports you are proxying SMTP servers on.

With an empty bayescustomize.ini/.spambayesrc, only the first applies.
Can you definitely bind port 8880?