[Spambayes] Classification not always added to the header: ThePlot Thickens

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Tue Sep 9 13:55:26 EDT 2003

[Lanny]
> This morning though, after regenerating the ini
> file by saving the config page, I did not shutdown and restart.

[Skip]
> That would do it.  Most apps only read their config files at startup.

> Many Unix daemons will reload their configs or restart when sent a HUP

> signal. I suppose pop3proxy's web interface could grow a "reload
> configuration file" button if it doesn't already have one.

Clicking 'save' on the config (or advanced config) page should reload
the options.

The invalid option shouldn't have stopped mail being classified, though.
That option was changed in 1.0a5 (a note about it is at the top of the
release notes).  The add_mailid_to option was replaced with the
"add_unique_id" option (in the "Headers" section, not "pop3proxy"), and
now defaults to True (so it shouldn't need to be in the config file).

[Lanny]
> Shortly after responding to you I got another spam and it was
> not classified and did not show up on the Review page.

If you look at the headers of the message, is there a
X-Spambayes-Exception header?  If something went wrong, then it wouldn't
be classified or be visible on the review page, but it should have an
exception header that lets us know exactly what went wrong.  If it
doesn't have any spambayes headers, then something rather more odd is
going on.