[Spambayes] How to setup Spambayes for Domino server

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Sep 10 16:22:29 EDT 2003

(make sure you reply to the entire list so you get the benefit of everyone's
eyeballs and brains...)

    James> I am running the software on Redhat 8. The domino server is
    James> running SMTP.  How do I set it up to scan the emails that come
    James> through. I have already got it installed. Could you please
    James> help?

    Skip> You didn't say anything about the mail reader you use.  SpamBayes
    Skip> works best at the client where each user can train on their own
    Skip> mail.  That said, I'm not sure anyone has investigated integrating
    Skip> it with a Domino server, though others have done so for other SMTP
    Skip> servers.

    James> We use Lotus Notes client to read mail. What I was tring to do is
    James> set it up to be its own server. Is that possible for all email be
    James> filtered through this server then go to the Domino server.

There is an smtpproxy script, but I'm not sure if this is the sort of
situation it was designed for.  Another SB user wrote an SMTP proxy which
performs the necessary checks at SMTP transfer time, rejecting the message
if it scores as spam, then calling the real SMTP server if it passes that
test.  That sounds like something you could try.  Search the list archives
for the past few weeks.

Skip