[Spambayes] Whitelist for SpamBayes for Outlook

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 14:40:57 EDT 2003

[David Matos]
> Thanks for the reply, Skip! Here are the spam clues for an e-mail

How did you get these?  The subject line here contains "Outlook", and this
looks vaguely like an Outlook addin "Show spam clues for current message"
report, but there are many differences from how that report looks in any
reasonably recent version of the addin.  So if you're using an old version
of the addin, the first thing to do is to update to a current version.

> that is representative of the kind that I keep seeing filtered as
> "Unsure," despite training lots of messages from this sender:
>
> Spam score: 12.55%

That would have scored as ham for me.  What do you have your ham cutoff set
to?  My ham cutoff is set to 20, and my spam cutoff to 80.  If most of the
msgs from this dude score under 20, boosting your ham cutoff to 20 will
solve most of your problem.

> Word Probability # Good # Spam
> '*H*' 99.97% - -
> '*S*' 25.07% - -
> 'from:addr:adjoined.com' 0.42% 53 0
> 'from:addr:operez' 0.42% 53 0
> 'from:name:oscar perez' 0.42% 53 0
> 'message-id:@smmia001.adjoined.net' 0.43% 52 0

There end all the clues that your friend sent the message.  Enabling the
mine-received-headers option would generate more.  The rest of his message
consists of a URL, so there's not much else to go on, and what there is
looks more spammy than not (relative to everything else you've trained on).

> 'url:story2' 5.06% 4 0
> 'subject:Goes' 6.52% 3 0
> 'subject:Yahoo' 6.79% 16 1
> 'url:story' 11.58% 38 5
> 'subject:News' 13.23% 133 21
> 'url:ncid' 15.52% 1 0
> 'url:tmpl' 18.96% 13 3
> 'url:news' 20.12% 183 48
> 'header:Received:1' 29.01% 560 239
> 'proto:http' 61.93% 9835 16725
> 'x-mailer:none' 62.77% 5776 10180
> 'subject:; ' 65.23% 31 61
> 'url:com' 65.87% 6350 12812
> 'url:u' 72.92% 164 462
> 'url:yahoo' 73.20% 382 1091
> 'header:Message-ID:1' 73.53% 98 285
> 'url:cid' 74.11% 55 165
> 'url:' 74.96% 1368 4282
> 'subject:! ' 89.32% 87 762
> 'url:eo' 99.78% 0 102
>
> Message text
> Subject: Yahoo! News - Batman Goes Psycho; Bale Cast
> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:32:07 -0400
> From: "Oscar Perez" <operez at adjoined.com>
> To: <matos at attbi.com>
>

>  <<Yahoo! News - Batman Goes Psycho; Bale Cast.url>>
>
>  http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=794&u=/eo/12487&ncid=

If this is ham to you, it may be the best argument for a whitelist I've seen
<wink>.