[Spambayes] Still getting horrible results from SpamBayes - Any advice?

Adam Lasnik alasnik at smilezone.com
Sun Sep 14 16:40:15 EDT 2003

A few weeks ago, I posted a note expressing concerns that SpamBayes was
doing an inadequate job filtering my spam (using the Outlook plugin).

I've now filtered more mail (approximately 1000 ham and spam), and
SpamBayes' performance has remained abysmal (only 1 false negative but
more than 30% false negatives) :(

I know that SpamBayes is fine software (judging from the many positive
comments I've read), so I'm assuming there's just some glitch with my
installation or operating environment.

What's especially frustrating is that I've classified many of the
nearly-exact-same spams -- such as the Nigerian spams, also the "I just
saw your profile and I'm new to the area..." crap and so on -- as spam,
but this doesn't help.  Subsequent copies of this stuff gets scored at
0% or a mere 4%.

I'm using the latest Outlook filter (.81).  Any ideas about what I can
do?  Thanks! :)

Regards,
Adam
http://smilezone.com/ -- Everything to make you smile :)