[Spambayes] Re: [OT] New Play: SPAMELOT

William Trenker wtrenker at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 19 10:09:52 EDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:37:44 -0400
Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote regarding Re: [OT] New Play: SPAMELOT:

> I nominate whoever sent me over a thousand fake MS Update + attachment
> spams in the last 24 hours.

I nominate for hero:  Spambayes!

I have never received so many virus-related spam messages as this latest 'Swen' virus.  Even the recent 'Klez' virus didn't come close on volume of spam messages received.

This latest one has been such a pain that yesterday I decided to try out Spambayes.  I have Python 2.3 on Linux here, using Sylpheed for email.  I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to setup Spambayes and its pop3proxy.py application.  I waited (not long) for a few of the virus messages to come my way, trained Spambayes on just those few messages, and haven't been bothered since.

I would also nominate Spambayes as Python App of the Year!  Spambayes certainly is a showcase of the sophistication, and practicality, that can be achieved using Python 'out of the box'.

Bill