[Spambayes] reporet on trying 1.0a6 on SuSE

Ian Smith ian at astounding.org.uk
Sun Sep 21 07:44:44 EDT 2003

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Meyer, Tony wrote:

> > However, setup.py still won't complete.  It now moans that "name
> > 'False' is not defined".  Some poking around teh web leads me to
> > believe that True and False were added in python 2.2.2.  If that is
> > the case, the README statement that you need 2.2 or later is not true
> > - you need 2.2.2 or later.
>
> That's a bug in setup.py.  All the actual scripts should work fine in
> 2.2.  I've checked in a fix for the setup bug.

Ah.  As I go on to say, I get some problems in teh scripts too.

> > Next I run sb_mboxtrain.  That fails with teh same complaint about
> > FALSE.  Reading teh traceback, it seemed the actual complaint was
> > related to site-packages/spambayes/Options.py, so I put True=1 and
> > False=0 lines in tehre, just above import sys, os.
>
> This shouldn't happen - sb_mboxtrain should define True and False before
> it tries to import Options.py.  I don't suppose you still have a copy of
> the traceback?

No, but I can take teh lines out and run it again:

sb_mboxtrain.py -d ~/.hammiedb -s spambayes/spam -g spambayes/ham

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sb_mboxtrain.py", line 50, in ?
    from spambayes import hammie, mboxutils
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/hammie.py",
line 5, in ?
    from spambayes import storage
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/storage.py",
line 67, in ?
    from spambayes import classifier
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/classifier.py",
line 43, in ?
    from spambayes.Options import options
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/Options.py",
line 33, in ?
    defaults = {
NameError: name 'False' is not defined

[I've added line breaks immediately before 'line nn' so it fits within
normal email line lengths]

> > sb_imapfilter.py -b runs up lynx (the machine it's running on doesn't
> > have X, so that's the best browser available), but lynx hangs for a
> > long, long time at "HTTP request sent; waiting for response".  Not
> > sure where the hang is occurring, and it's never given up (or at
> > least, I've always interrupted it first).
>
> Hmm.  If you run sb_server.py and go to http://localhost:8880, does it
> hang then, too?  Using "Lynx Version 2.8.4rel.1 (17 Jul 2001)" works
> fine for me.

Well, if I runb sb_server.py I get told False is not defined again:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sb_server.py", line 101, in ?
    import spambayes.message
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/message.py",
line 99, in ?
    from spambayes.tokenizer import tokenize
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/tokenizer.py",
line 22, in ?
    from spambayes.Options import options
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/spambayes/Options.py",
line 33, in ?
    defaults = {
NameError: name 'False' is not defined

If I put the True=1 False=0 lines back in Options.py sb_server.py works
fine (at least, lynx displays a page for it).

> > "cat sb_test_email | sb_filter.py -d
> > ~/.hammiedb".  That dies with teh complaint about False again.
>
> Again, if you had the traceback, that would be helpful.  There's a lot
> of code scattered about that's meant to provide False/True if it doesn't
> exist, which should be working...

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sb_filter.py", line 187, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/sb_filter.py", line 157, in main
    h.usedb = True
NameError: global name 'True' is not defined

I'm still intent on getting it working on my system, so I'll hopefully
have some more reports shortly.

regards,   Ian SMith
--
  |\ /|      no .sig