[Spambayes] Messages fail to filter

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Mon Sep 22 13:46:18 EDT 2003

From: Rick Reid [mailto:Rick.Reid at uk.anker-systems.com]
> I trained with about 100 spam and 900+ ham.
> I can certainly collect a lot more spam if
> that's what's required.

First of all, I have my system trained on 2800 spams, and about 6000
hams. Basically, you need enough spams so that nothing appears too "new"
to the filter. Still, you should be getting some filtering with a 100
spam training set, and spambayes should automatically filter.

> When I use the manual option either to score
> or score & filter, it seems to do so almost
> perfectly. So why doesn't it do this automatically
> when mail arrives in my inbox? I have 'enable
> Spambayes' checked.

Did you try adding a processing start delay (say 10 seconds) on the
advanced tab of the spamBayes manager? Perhaps Outlook's running of its
rules is stepping on SpamBayes.

Also, make sure your Inbox folder is one of the "monitored" folders, and
that your thresholds aren't set too high. Your filtering tab of
SpamBayes Manager should look something very much like this:
http://malayter.com/SpamBayesSettings.gif

Regards,
	Ryan