[Spambayes] SpamBayes config error

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Fri Sep 26 00:09:24 EDT 2003

> now I have reached the point where spambayes points to my correct
> location in both config pages.

Good :)

> But when I run sb_server.py, the pop3 and smtp proxy aren't
> started and the wrong database is used (mails all unsure... Same
> messages are normally filed as spam).

This suggests that it's not using the right config file.  Note that
spambayes will happily use *more than one* config file, where successive
files override earlier ones.  The web interface will let you manage one
of these (it should be the last one loaded, IIRC).  Check that you're
not actually using two config files - i.e. that the environment variable
BAYESCUSTOMIZE is empty (or lists the correct file), and that there
isn't a file called bayescustomize.ini in the current working directory
*and* a file called .spambayesrc in your home directory.

> Then I have to go to the config and resave it and then the servers are
> started.

This is bizzare, though.  If you add an invalid option to the config
file, do you get a warning printed out when you start up?  If not, then
it's not loading it.  Try setting BAYESCUSTOMIZE to the location of the
file and seeing if that helps.