[Spambayes] I Can't Install the POP3 Proxy In Windows XP

Keith Russell wkrussell at magicspeller.com
Fri Sep 26 01:40:34 EDT 2003

Thank you, Tony!

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:53:54 +1200 GMT your local time, which was
Thursday, September 25, 2003, 9:53 PM -0700 GMT here,
you wrote:

>> and couldn't find a way to search the archives....

> Google like this:
>    site:mail.python.org spambayes search_term "search phrase"

> There's a pre-filled out form to do this at:
> <http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/docs.html>

Thanks. That's good to know.

>> Okay.... So, to install SpamBayes, am I supposed to follow
>> the instructions under "For the Really Impatient", those
>> under "Installation", or either, or both?

> Either.  Or both, but you'll end up doing some things twice.

Okay. That's what I thought, but it wasn't really clear from the way
it was worded.

>> When I ran "python sb_server.py -b" from "the directory I
>> expanded the SpamBayes source into", I got the following error:
>>
>> Can't open file 'sb_server.py'
>>
>> So I then ran the command from the scripts subdirectory,
>> where sb_server.py was located.

> :)  I'll fix this in the readme.

Thanks 8-).

>> This gave the following error:
>>
>> Traceback:
>> File "sb_server.py, line 100, in ?
>> import spambases.message
>> Import Error: No module named spambayes.message

> I'll fix the 'really impatient' instructions to also do the install,
> which will fix this.

Great.

>> However, when it came time to run pop3proxy_service.py,
>> I found that it had not been copied.

> This is somewhat deliberate, in that it's only of use to Windows folk,
> and they'll probably want to be using the (soon to be released) binary
> version anyway, and those using the source can just use the
> pop3proxy_service.py script from wherever they put it.

Is this just intended for one-time use? If you run it and then delete
the uncompressed archive files, as the instructions say, of course it
will be gone.

> You don't say what happened when you ran pop3proxy_service.py.

I didn't run it....

> I've
> fixed up the readme a bit here since 1.0a6, too: you should run (in the
> spambayes 1.0a6 directory) "windows/pop3proxy_service.py install", and
> that will install the service.

Great. I caught this step in your instructions to another user just
before I saw the reply to me!

> You can then control the service like
> any other Windows service - either use "net start pop3proxy" (or "net
> stop pop3proxy") from a command line, or use the Services Control panel
> (from the Administration Tools one).

It worked great. Thanks very much.

>> I also tried running  setup_all.py from the windows
>> subdirectory, with no success.

> I have no idea what that file is...

The readme in that directory says to run it, so I decided it was worth
a try ;-).

--
 Keith