[Spambayes] Problem starting pop3proxy_service on XP

Marc de Graauw marc at marcdegraauw.com
Fri Sep 26 05:00:22 EDT 2003

I am trying to install and run Spambayes 1.0a6 on Win XP, but the
pop3proxy_service does not start.

First of all, after running setup.py install, pop3proxy_service.py is not
installed in the Python directory (a lot of other spambayes stuff is). The
pop3proxy_service.py file is in [download directory]/windows. The
readme.txt claims I can discard the download directory after running
install, does this mean something has gone wrong with the install?

Next, when I run:
python pop3proxy_service.py install
python pop3proxy_service.py start
the service is not started.

When I look in the Services window of XP, the "Spambayes pop3proxy_service
Service" is listed as manual. When I try to start it in the Services
Windows, XP says: "The Spambayes pop3proxy_service Service on Local
Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically etc. ..."

Anybody got any ideas what goes wrong?

Thanks, Marc