[Spambayes] Can't Save Configuration

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Sun Sep 28 19:35:43 EDT 2003

> I see. That makes sense. I was able to access localhost:8880
> both before and after, so it was running. (That is, pop3proxy
> was running; what's sb_server/pop3proxy?)

The script that handles the POP3 proxies, the SMTP proxies, and the web
interface was called pop3proxy.py up until release 1.0a5.  It has since
been renamed sb_server.py, which is more accurate.  pop3proxy_tray.py
and pop3proxy_service.py haven't been renamed, as of yet.  I wasn't sure
which version you were using, so wasn't sure if you would have
pop3proxy.py or sb_server.py (it's a confusing time!).

> pop3proxy_service.py did not get installed anywhere.

This is fixed in cvs, so will be fixed for the next release.

> I had expanded the zip file to two locations, and found it under
> the windows subdirectory in both places. I went ahead and ran
> it from one of those locations. It said it started
> successfully, but when I tried to save the configuration from
> the Web interface, I got the following:
>
> 500 Server error
> Traceback (most recent call last):
[...]
>   File "F:\PROGRA~1\Python23\lib\bsddb\__init__.py", line
> 192, in hashopen
>     d.open(file, db.DB_HASH, flags, mode)
>
> DBNoSuchFileError: (2, 'No such file or directory')

This is odd.  It's complaining that it can't open the database, but in
that case it should just create a new one.  You should have a
bayescustomize.ini file - if you haven't created it yourself, then it
should be in the directory "c:\documents and settings\application
data\spambayes\proxy\" (if WinNT/2K/XP, if Win9x/Me, then
"C:\windows\application data\spambayes\proxy", I think).  Could you find
that file and let us know what's in it?  (There should be a line that
starts: "persistent_storage_file:", which is the most relevant one).

> > You could also try just
> > using sb_server/pop3proxy (is this 1.0a6 or 1.0a5?) for the moment.
>
> How do I do that?

Either run the pop3proxy_tray.py application (also in the windows
directory, also mistakenly not installed with 1.0a6) after removing the
service (run "pop3proxy_service remove"), or run "sb_server.py" - it
will have been installed into the Python scripts directory.  If you run
it with pythonw (or change the extension to pyw) you won't get the
console window displayed.