[Spambayes] pop3/smtp proxy with Outlook/Outlook Express (bug?)

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Mon Sep 29 00:50:39 EDT 2003

> I think there is some kind of problem with spambayes caching and
> classification. When I compose email which includes spam
> words to my account and load them into the local pop3 proxy, spambayes
> classifies it as spam and attaches appropriate
> X-Spambayes-Classification header. However, as I examine the
> cache folders, the email is put in the unknown cache folder not
> in the spam cache folder.

This is the correct behaviour.  The message has been *classified* as
spam, but not *trained* as spam.  If you trained the message (via the
web interface, for example), it should move from the unknown cache to
the spam one.  The unknown cache holds all the messages that haven't
been trained yet.

> Hence, the error messgae "Could not
> extract id" as I forward the email to spambayes_ham at localhost.

This is not the correct behaviour, however.  The smtp proxy is meant to
search through all three caches when attempting to find the message
(this means, for example, that it can correct messages that have been
incorrectly *trained*, not just incorrectly *classified*).

So, to confirm, you're sending an email to spambayes_ham at localhost which
has the id of a message in one of the three caches and you get the
"maybe already deleted" error?  Note that if you're copying & pasting
the id in, you need to include the "X-Spambayes-ID: " bit as well as the
id itself.