[Spambayes] RE: Need more training messages

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun Sep 28 16:15:22 EDT 2003

    Skip> I doubt a few non-English hams and spam would hurt.  Let's limit
    Skip> it to Western European languages (no Hebrew or Japanese, for
    Skip> example).

    Bob> I don't see the point of the limitation to Western European
    Bob> spams. I'm firmly in the English-speaking world (no wisecracks from
    Bob> the British Empire, please!), but a high percentage of my spam is
    Bob> in Russian, Chinese, Japanese, etc.

We know very little about how well SpamBayes works on *ham* which is written
in non-Western European character sets.  The idea is that we provide an
initial training database which allows SpamBayes to do a reasonable job
scoring mail at the start.  I wouldn't want to include Asian spam and no
Asian ham.  If a Japanese user installs SB and uses the starter database,
they would likely be disappointed.

Skip