[Spambayes] Bayesian drawbacks?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Sep 29 11:40:57 EDT 2003

[Gerrit Holl]
> I am considering to install a spamfilter on my machine. However, I
> don't know which one to choose. I have read about the Bayesian
> approach Spambayes is using. As I understand it, Spambayes needs to
> be trained in order to be useful.

That's right.

> Isn't this a major drawback?

In practice, it works much better than telepathy <wink>.

> Is it possible that a non-Bayesian approach would much better suit my
> needs,

You didn't explain what your needs are, Gerrit.  If your primary criterion
is "doesn't need any training", then sure, a filter that needs training
isn't for you.  I suggest you just try it, or try to make clearer what your
needs are.