[Spambayes] Review of problem - before filing bug report

Michael McKay mmckay at iscubed.com
Mon Sep 29 13:24:53 EDT 2003

I've had a "progressing problem", and thought it might be worthwhile to
describe it informally before filing a formal bug report.  Here is a

Base system: Win2K, Outlook 2002, Outlook Plug-ins: McAfee 5.x, PGP 7.x,

1) Installed SpamBayes 0.7, worked fine.

2) Installed SpamBayes 0.81, worked fine.

3) Installed Hauri's ViRobot, and as part of this procedure uninstalled

4) SpamBayes stopped filtering messages, and buttons stopped working.  

4a) In addition I got an error message about a missing McAfee dll upon Outlook
start-up.  I eventually solved this by deleting "\Documents and
Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\extend.dat" (according to MS this is some type of a
cache file).

4b) I tried reinstalling SpamBayes a few times without any effect.

5) I read the trouble-shooting guide, and tried all reasonable troubleshooting
techniques.  I had one log-file (4th one) that showed normal activity, but the
three newer ones just had two lines (see below).  

5a) I uninstalled ViRobot, just in case it was somehow messing things up.

5b) I deleted the SpamBayes toolbar, and than renamed "outcmd.dat".

5c) Uninstalled, rebooted, attempted to install 0.81; repeated again.

6) Which brings me to my current state: The install completes without errors.
No Toolbar shows up, and the Outlook "Comm Add-Ins" does not show anything
installed.  The log file consists of 2 lines: 

Registered: SpamBayes.OutlookAddin 
Registration complete.


If any additional information is needed, please don't hesitate to contact me.


Michael McKay
seaan at concentric.net

More information about the Spambayes mailing list