[Spambayes] Error from pop3proxy

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Sep 30 16:12:22 EDT 2003

    Alan> I got this error from pop3proxy running on my W2K server :-

    Alan> error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel
    Alan> <sb_smtpproxy.BayesSMTPProxy connected 192.168.1.100:1571 at
    Alan> 0x1833aa8> (bsddb._db.DBRunRecoveryError:(-3098 2,
    Alan> 'DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery -- fatal
    Alan> region error detected; run recovery')

A number of people have seen this.  It appears to be related to incorrect
locking of the database in multi-threaded applications.  If you're not a
programmer that may not make sense to you.  The simplest way to work around
that may be to switch to the Pickle form of the database.  However, before
attempting that switch, let us know what version of SpamBayes you are
running.  Some bugs in the configuration saving code were fixed only
recently.  Tony's the expert in this area.

For the spambayes-dev folks: If we're not properly mediating access to the
on-disk version of the DBDictClassifier, we're probably not mediating access
to the in-memory PickledClassifier either.  Maybe all we need to do is add a
little bit of locking to the Classifier class or its subclasses.

Skip