[Spambayes] Amazing sloth

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 19:03:34 EST 2004

Here's a weird one, w/ Outlook 2000 and the addin from not-so-recent-anymore
CVS.  I decided to start over from scratch today, so have a new(Berkeley)
DB.

It's taking the addin from 4 to 10 seconds to score each(!) message.  That's
whether it's new incoming email, or via the "Filter messages ..." menu item,
or via a single "Show spam clues".  It's mind-numbingly slow.

While a message is being scored, Outlook is unresponsive to keyboard or
mouse input, but the process is using very little CPU (typically a fraction
of a percent, with very brief spikes).  So it's waiting on *something*, but
don't know what.

Nothing odd in the PythonWin Trace Collector display.  Ran scanpst on all
the relevant .pst files -- no problems.  The sloth persists after restarting
Outlook, and after a reboot.  No other Outlook operations have slowed, just
SpamBayes.

Two hours later:  couldn't make much time to dig into this, but didn't learn
anything new in the time I could make.  Instead I started over from scratch
again (I had trained on only 10 ham and 10 spam, so that was as painless as
it gets).  The sloth went away then, just as mysteriously and dramatically
as it appeared.  Outlook remained open the entire time:

    extremely slow
    retrain on 5 new ham and 5 new spam from scratch
    zippy again

So no clues, just bizarre symptoms.  If it happens to you, don't be an idiot
like I just was:  save the .db file before retraining the problem away (it's
the only relevant thing I can think of that changed).