[Spambayes] Problem

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Apr 8 23:13:50 EDT 2004

> "Does this happen if you disable or uninstall (no training or
> configuration data is lost if you uninstall then reinstall)
> SpamBayes?  I haven't seen this reported before, and given
> what SpamBayes does, it's hard to see how it would cause this."
>
> Yes. I have read all of your troubleshooting and FAQ guides,
> and one of the first things I did was to delete the config
> files and start over. I uninstalled and
> reinstalled........but it still does it.

What I asked wasn't whether it still happened if you reinstalled, but if it
still happened if you uninstalled.  That would confirm that it is a problem
with SpamBayes, rather than some other Outlook problem.  My comment about
reinstalling was to assure you (unnecessarily, as it turned out) that you
wouldn't lose any data by trying this.

I'd still like to know whether the problem occurs if SpamBayes is
uninstalled, and also whether it happens if SpamBayes is simply disabled
(via the "Manager" dialog, accessable from the SpamBayes toolbar).

>> "I'm rather confused by what you mean here.  By "drag a new
>> message to the 'delete as spam' bar", do you mean that you are:
>>
>>   (a) Dragging the message to the "Delete as spam" button on
>> the toolbar.
>>   (b) Selecting the message and clicking the "Delete as spam"
>> button on the toolbar.
>>   (c) Dragging the message to the Spam folder.

> I'm doing (a).

This is what concerns me most.  I'm also using Outlook 2002 (with XP, rather
than 2K, but that shouldn't make a difference).  Doing (a) does nothing
(which is what I would suspect) - the cursor turns into a circle with a line
through it, pointing out that this is an invalid operation, and the message
says where it is.  Could you mail me a screenshot with a message held over
the "delete as spam" button to show that it *doesn't* have the 'invalid'
cursor on your machine?

For anyone else reading this and using the plug-in, could you try doing (a)
and let me know whether it works?

=Tony Meyer

---