[Spambayes] Whitelisting

Cedric Beust cbeust at bea.com
Mon Apr 12 11:42:50 EDT 2004

> From: Tim Peters [mailto:tim.one at comcast.net]

> While I wouldn't
> object to adding whitelist gimmicks, I won't work on them,
> because they'd be a net loss for me (I wouldn't use them).

Fair enough, Tim.  I am certainly not asking any of the free SpamBayes contributors to implement this feature just because *I* want it.  I am simply trying to find out the reasons that led to the Whitelisting statement in the FAQ.

I am thinking about adding this feature myself, so I am just trying to assess

1) If I am wrong thinking Address Book Whitelisting is a good thing.
2) If it would be hard to add to the curent codebase.

About the latter, you make an excellent point with:

> Note that
> there are increasing problems trying to access the address
> book, because every Outlook service pack makes that harder to
> do (accessing the Windows address book is most associated with viruses).

I am still hopeful that an add-in will have enough privileges (possibly enabled by the user) to access the Address Book, but it's something for me to find out.

I took a look at the binary distribution and it is...  well, binary :-)

Are you guys using a Win32 Python compiler to produce this output?

--
Cédric
http://beust.com/weblog