[Spambayes] RE: [spambayes-bugs] Can't start sb_server.py

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Apr 12 23:08:50 EDT 2004

[Please note that the spambayes-bugs at python.org list is for auto generated
mail only.  This list receives mail from the sourceforge system that tracks
reported bugs, feature requests and so on.  To add to those, please go to
<http://sf.net/projects/spambayes>.  For a general mailing list to discuss
spambayes, including problems, please use spambayes at python.org.]

> I have a problem that appeared when I changed from version
> 1.0a7 to 1.0a9 under SuSE Linux 9.0 and python 2.3.  When I
> start sb_server.py I get the following result.  Can someone
> decipher the messages and give me a hint as to what I need to
> do to fix the problem?
[...]
> socket.error: (98, 'Address already in use')

It appears that one of the local ports that you are attempting to use
(either for a POP3 proxy, SMTP proxy or the web interface) is already in
use, so you need to use another one.

>From the traceback, it looks like the most likely culprit is a SMTP proxy,
so try changing this first.

To check if a port is already in use, just do "telnet localhost PORT" in a
command window (where PORT is, for example, 25, 8880, and so on).  If you
can't connect, the port is free.  If you can, then it's not.

=Tony Meyer

---