[Spambayes] Using dialup up modem is tooooo slow

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Apr 13 20:16:58 EDT 2004

> Thank you for your response.  I am using the Outlook plug in
> and our system at the company is Exchange Server.  It appears
> to take a little while to process each email then when you
> move them to either the Junk or Inbox folder it has to learn more.
>
> I will look at the advance options.

Ah, what I didn't figure on was that this is connecting to an Exchange
server over a dialup.  In that case, you would have to be connected, because
the messages won't be able to be moved unless you are.

In this case, *disabling* the "background filtering" option in the Advanced
tab might give the best results.  The main reason for this option (which
puts a little delay between the message arriving and it being filtered) is
so that rules can be run on messages before SpamBayes gets hold of them
(otherwise sometimes SpamBayes gets the message first, and sometimes the
rules get the message first; this way is consistent).  With an Exchange
server (almost all) rules are run on the server anyway, so you don't really
need the delay.

If turning off "background filtering" doesn't help, then it really might be
that it's too slow.  The uninstall should work, anyway (with the additional
manual deletion of the SpamBayes toolbar).

=Tony Meyer

---