[Spambayes] SpamBayes Web Interface??

Michael Kimball michael at kimballpottery.com
Wed Apr 14 10:57:22 EDT 2004

Tony Meyer wrote:

> > The main thing is that the "Review Messages" table is too wide for my
> > screen.
>
> What resolution are you using?  I'm guessing 640x480 - I tried 800x600 (as
> small as I can go with this monitor) and it fit ok.  In the advanced

1024 x 768.  I think the problem is that I am using Netscape 4.79, which
doesn't have much support for CSS.  I've opened the page in Firefox and
it lays out much better.

Is it possible to have Spambayes pages open in Firefox or any browser
other than the one your email is integrated with?  Currently I am
playing with Firefox and some older versions of Mozilla, but I'm still
using Netscape as my 'default' browser.  If there is a config or ini or
some such file that I could edit to force SpamBayes to open in Firefox,
rather than my 'default' browser...  Maybe I should just bite the bullet
and change the default to Firefox.  I'm starting to play with CSS and
the Mozilla browsers/gecko browsers have better support and permit me to
have a "user" css.  And, I think, permit the user to select the .css he
wants to use, so I could have a default (all pages designed with purple
text on a black background would be converted to "This page is best
viewed in a garbage bin" :) and specific .css files for SpamBayes and
for any other sites that I regularly view ( one for my wife's site using
different background, header, and navigation colours, so she thinks I've
changed her site again heh heh heh :)

> configuration options there are some ways you can tweak the review page -
> i.e. remove some of the columns (or add more), which might help.  The page

That was also part of it.  I had added CC and ...ummm...something
else...I forget...  Anyway I didn't really need them (some mssgs to the
various mailing lists showed the mailing list name in the CC rather than
the To)  I've since unsubscribed from most of the lists which I don't
keep up with and removed the extra columns.

> should resize as small as it can, fitting in everything in the appropriate
> column.  How would you modify it to make it fit a smaller screen?
>
> > Other things I'd like to change:
> > Pasting a message into the 'Train this message' box.  The box is SO
> > SMALL.  I'd like to enlarge it, or make it resizable so I can see more
> > of the message.
>
> I don't think a resizable box is possible with HTML.  It's long been
> recognised that the box is pretty small - a comment in the code indicates
> that the original intention was to separate out the stuff on the main page
> into separate pages, and then make the boxes bigger.  I think people have
> become accustomed to the boxes on the front page, though.
>
> A problem is that the textbox doesn't resize nicely like most HTML elements.
> It could be wider (say 80 characters rather than 60) and still fit on a
> 800x600 screen, but that would make it worse for those with smaller screens
> (like you, I'm assuming).  I gather you'd rather have more vertical length -
> how much more?  Would a couple of extra lines be enough, or would you want a
> large paste box on its own page?
>
> > (I've been cutting out the SpamBayes headers, so it
> > trains on a message without those clues)
>
> You can safely leave those in, unless you've changed the tokenizing options.
> Almost all headers are ignored by default (excluding "Subject", "To",
> "From", "Received", and so on), including all the SpamBayes ones.  With the
> 1.0b1 release, even the "spam," tag used by Outlook Express users in the
> subject or recipient list is correctly removed.

Since I can leave those in there would be no need for me to edit the
mssg in the box.  So no need to change the size.  Problem resolved.

> > Instead of leaving that page to view a specific message, I'd
> > like to pop open a different browser window and review it there.
> > Hmmm, maybe I can do this simply by right-clicking on the message
> > and choosing 'Open in a new window'
>
> Yes, you can do this.  Or by shift-clicking the link.  I think the default
> of having it open in the same window is liked by more people, so, given the
> ease of doing it the other way, I think this will remain unchanged.

Yeah, I discovered this myself, just after I sent you that request.
Oops, sorry.

> However, this one is easy to change, unlike the above, if you want to run a
> modified version yourself.  Just install resourcepackage and change the
> appropriate links in ui.html to have a "target" attribute.  I forget what
> the code for 'new window' is - something like "new" or "_new".
>
> > And finally links to all the SpamBayes Web Interface pages up top.
>
> At the top of all pages, or just some?  Something like "Home  Configuration
> Statistics  Review  Help" (where each word is a link) at the top of each
> page?  I can see something like this might be useful.

Yes, exactly like that.  Plus a link to SpamBayes
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/  On all pages.

> > I think maybe your Outlook addin does this.  Some of the mail
> > in the list seems to be describing 'toolbar'(s) that I don't have.
>
> The Outlook addin is tightly integrated into Outlook, so it provides a
> toolbar in the actual mail program itself where you can access all the
> things that sb_server users have the web interface for.  It's nicer in many
> ways, but it requires a lot more work, and a new version has to be made for
> every mail client, unlike the web interface that works with any.  There has
> been talk in the past about creating a similarly integrated Eudora plug-in,
> but nothing (that I know of) has come of it.  With the Windows tray app now
> available, and the likely dialog-based configuration and drag-and-drop
> training to come, I suspect that the generic approach will remain acceptable
> enough to not worry about it.

I didn't mean to imply I wanted a Netscape toolbar, just that parts of
the toolbar sounded like the web interface that I was trying to
describe.  A web interface header that includes those links would
probably do the job just fine.