[Spambayes] getting started

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Apr 15 20:09:12 EDT 2004

> Then I tell my mail client to fetch mail - and it responds saying the
> POP server has indicated that I haven't provided the correct password.

Have you tried entering the password in again?  Are you connecting normally,
or with SSL?

> Not surprising, I suppose, as I can't see anywhere that I can tell
> spambayes what user name & password to provide. From the lack of
> instructions, I'd assume that it somehow passes through the
> username/password provided by my email client, but that doesn't
> seem to happen.

That is what happens.  Your mail client connects to localhost:110 and gets
the exact same prompt as if it has connected to mailserver:110 (you can
telnet there yourself and see this in action).  The mail client does the
same USER and PASS commands as it would normally do, and SpamBayes just
copies this across.  It's not until there is a RETR (retrieve) command that
SpamBayes does anything with the data received, and IIRC it never does
anything to the data sent (from the client's POV).

If you open up your configuration file and add a "[Globals]" section with
"verbose:True" in it, then sb_server will create a _pop3proxy.log file (in
the current working directory, I think) which records the POP3 conversation.
There may be clues in that.

=Tony Meyer

---