[Spambayes] SpamBayes Web Interface??

Michael Kimball michael at kimballpottery.com
Fri Apr 16 19:28:21 EDT 2004

Tony Meyer wrote:

> I've got Netscape 4 on other machine and took a look at it there and you're
> right: it looks terrible and hardly fits.  I'll try and have a play around
> with it and see if I can get it looking & functioning better without
> sacrificing anything for those with more recent browsers.  Netscape 4 is
> pretty old now, but (at least here in New Zealand) is still widely used.

I tried playing around with this but had little luck.  I think
SpamBayes, Netscape and Dreamweaver don't play nice together.  With
SpamBayes open and editing a (copy of) the localhost:8880/home page in
Dreamweaver, usually when I went to view my changes in Netscape I got a
"Netscape has committed some unfogivable sin and is writing a log to
atone for its sins" error message so I wasn't able to test very well.
Also when it did work I'd get a page half the (monitor) screen width
with the appropriate text in the Status & Config page, but when I
maximized the screen that text (and only that text) disappeared and was
replaced with a faint grey box about 1/4" square.  Resizing the or
refreshing the page didn't return the text.  Maybe I'll try later
without SpamBayes running.  Or try some other completely unrelated file
to see if it is just NS and/or Dreamweaver misbehaving.  I'm not about
to call this a bug since periodically my copy of Netscape just goes west
for no apparent reason, and comes back on its own.  Its quite likely my
configuration and not your program.

ANYWAY: (and a word of caution - I'm just starting with CSS, so any of
my comments may be W A Y off base.)

There are a lot of <br/> tags in the page.  Are these some tag I don't
know, or are they mis-generated <br> tags?

The style .banner has a padding=5 instead of padding: 5px;  When I fixed
that the blue background color showed.  When I added width: 100% the
background blue stretched across the page.  But I couldn't get the 1px
solid black borders to show.  Nor could I get the borders to show in any
of the other tables.

There are also a number of tables with 'id="headedBox"'.  I THINK the
ids are supposed to be unique.  But I don't know how duplicating the id
impacts the browser.  Do other pages actually use a style '#headedBox'?
or any of the id's?  If not consider changing 'id=' to 'name='.  I don't
think 'name' is used in CSS. It is a form of documentation for the
coder.  e.g. <table name="configtable" class="widetable"
id="fatborders">...rows and cells...</table "configtable">  I THINK will
display a table according to the styling of '.widetable', modified by
the styling of '#fatborders' and 'configtable' is ignored, not a style,
but it helps you find errors like too many </table> tags.  Apparently
CSS/HTML ignores anything following the '</table' and the closing '>'.
In this example presumably .widetable would have styling dealing with
the width of the table, while #fatborders would deal with the styling of
the borders.  I don't know what would happen if both dealt with border
size or border color.

Anyway, maybe whatever generates that page could be altered to deal with
the <br/> tags and the padding=5 entry in the .banner style.

>From my perspective, none of this is urgent.  I have been able to get
SpamBayes to open in Firefox so I don't need to rely on the Netscape
formatting.

Thank you,

Mike Kimball