[Spambayes] Pre-SpamBayes error: I need help with Localhost!

Richard B Barger ABC APR Rich at RBarger.com
Fri Apr 16 20:17:07 EDT 2004

In December, and then again in February, I tried to get SpamBayes to
work on my system.  I received a couple of very friendly, detailed
frustration.

Here's what I keep running into:  My system doesn't recognize
"localhost" on any browser (IE 6, Netscape 7.1, Netscape 4.79) on any of
my four local computers (I only receive email on one of these).

I've tried all combinations of http://localhost, http://localhost:8880,
http://localhost:8880/home, http://127.0.0.1, http://[my local router
address], http://[each computer's name; each computer's address], and
the same things without "http," all without success.

I have tried Microsoft's unHelpful site and have Googled "netscape
localhost" and "localhost:8880" and other similar combinations, and have
diligently followed this delightfully helpfully discussion group, but
with no success.

I use a simple Linksys router and both ZoneAlarm and Norton AntiVirus.
I've disabled ZoneAlarm, figuring it is the least standard of the three;
no joy.  I assume that many users have NAV and a router, and I haven't
seen any newsgroup comments about problems with them, so I actually
haven't tried removing them from the system.

At this point, my frustration level is rising again, and I need help; I
assume I need to solve the "localhost" issue before trying the newest
version of SpamBayes.  I'm confident there is some extremely
simpleminded solution to my "no localhost" problem, but, if you have it,
please explain it in very, very simple baby steps.

Thanks all.

Rich Barger