[Spambayes] Re: Cannot connect to socket with sb_bnserver.py

papaDoc papaDoc at videotron.ca
Mon Apr 19 09:17:12 EDT 2004

Hi Toby,

>>I read a little on python socket and usually on connect to a host on a
>>given port not to a file ?
>>

>unix domain sockets have a name stored in the filesystem, and are used for
>inter-process communication on one machine. (the name of the socket is stored
>on the filesystem, but the data doesnt actually go to disk). try `man unix`

I need to read more ....

>>    >> What happens if you run sb_bnserver.py standalone like:
>>    >>
>>    >> sb_bnserver -a 2 /tmp/test-socket
>>    >>
>>    >> ?  Does it exit quickly with a traceback or sit there quietly for
>>    >> two seconds before exiting?
>>
>>    Remi> it sit there for 16sec and exit without any traceback (This is
>>    Remi> running on a 486 at +/- 72% or CPU load)
>>

>16 seconds? that sounds wrong. the '-a 2' bit of the command line tells it to
>terminate after 2 seconds of inactivity. Did it really take 14 seconds to
>import and initialise spambayes? On this machine it takes 2.7 seconds,
>implying initialisation takes 0.7 seconds.

I forget to tell you that this machine (my mail server is an old  486
66Mhz)

>How long does it take to run:
>
>echo test|scripts/sb_filter.py

Several second...  in the order of 10 sec

>On this machine that 0.7 seconds, which is consistent with my timings above.

You are licky <wink>

>If you can debug where your 14 seconds are being spent, Im sure you will find
>a strong clue to your problem.

My problem is I don't have any money to upgrade ;-)

>Are you on linux?

Yes Debian stable with the python2.3 from unstable.

>if so, the following command will create a log file of all
>syscalls. Im sure that will contain the answer. Email me (off-list) or make
>it available for download.
>
>echo test| strace -tt -f -o trace.txt python contrib/sb_bnfilter.py

I will send you the file in another email

>Im here. Ive only been quiet because Skips answers have been so good, and in
>the right timezone.

I'm sure we can find some time where we are both on the net....

Remi

--
/"\
\ /