[Spambayes] SPAM on the LIST ??!!??

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Apr 22 22:14:13 EDT 2004

> On this email account, 40-50% of the SPAM I receive is stuff that has
> been sent TO spambayes at python.org
>
> (sigh) Oh The Irony!

This is becoming a FAQ :)

The problem here is that it is quite common to discuss spam on this list -
people saying "why did this score x?", and that sort of thing.  It would be
extremely difficult for a filter to distinguish between quoting and (short)
discussion of spam, and spam itself, without making mistakes in a lot of
other places.

The other solution would be to change things so that you have to be
subscribed to post to the list - but this would make it harder for people to
ask for help, which isn't something that we want to do.

Of course, there's a simple solution, which is to simply filter the mail
from this list with SpamBayes - most of us do, and it works remarkably well.
<0.1 wink>

=Tony Meyer

---