[Spambayes] Problems getting started with IMAP...

Paul Michali pcm at cisco.com
Mon Apr 26 08:08:44 EDT 2004

Tony Meyer wrote:

>>I applied this patch and deleted the .pyc file just in case.
>>However, when I try the stats, I still get the same error:
>>

> [...]
>
>>AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'keys'
>>
>>Is there something else that needs to be updated?
>

> Hmm, odd.  Maybe that wasn't the problem (although it was *a* problem).
> Could you try:
>
>  1. In your configuration file, add a "[globals]" section (if there isn't
> already one) and in that section add "verbose:True".  When you run
> sb_imapfilter.py, do you now get a "Warning: no dbm modules available" error
> printed out?  (You shouldn't, because it shouldn't be trying use use dbm,
> but it would explain why msginfoDB is None).

Nope. I get this:

hammie.db is an existing pickle, with 350 ham and 2816 spam

>  2. In the same place in message.py (line 214, I think) as the previous
> patch, add a line just after that stuff that has:
>
> """
> print options["Storage", "persistent_use_database"], msginfoDB
> """
>
> This should print out something like "pickle <MessageInfoPickle object at
> ...>", if all is well.

Hmm. I added that line (indented four spaces), right after
the if clause, but I don't see any message displayed in
the Web page or on the console output. Am I doing anything
wrong?

>>I start it on the Unix box in the foreground. Enter the
>>IMAP password, then do a "control-Z" and then "bg 1" to
>>put this in the background. It seems to be running, but
>>when I exit the terminal window, it seems that it terminates
>>at some point. I no longer have a console, so I don't know
>>what happened.  Any thoughts?
>

> Could you run it redirecting stdout & stderr to a file, so that any errors
> are captured?

I'm not quite sure how to do that, as I need to start it in
the foreground so that it asks me the IMAP password, and then
place it into the background. Maybe I can use "tee"? In any
case, the process I started Friday is still running. I haven't
been able to get the problem to reproduce :^(

>>Finally, another question (sorry). Is there a way to have imapfilter
>>detect when new mail arrives at the IMAP server, or does it have to
>>poll for messages?
>
> This is something I would look into if I ever got the time to work on
> imapfilter again (properly, rather than this bugfix sort of stuff).  It's
> possible in theory, but I'm not sure how workable it would be.  You could
> stay connected, and the server is meant to send out messages with updated
> exists/recent counts when they change.  I'm not sure how well implemented
> this is across servers, and how well it works when both the filter and the
> mail client are connected.  The filter would still have to cycle through the
> various watch folders, I think, since the updates only get sent out for the
> currently selected folder (unless there was only one watch folder).

It would be nice to have it immediately update, when
messages come it. Then, the "-l" option would not really
be needed and there would be less of a chance where the
client sees the message before it has been classified (if
the filter runs instantly and the client is polling every
10 minutes or so).

> It would be a good 1.1 feature, though.  Maybe I'll get time to work on
> imapfilter again one day :)

That would be great. If you want someone to test it out, I
can certainly do that.

PCM WORKING @ HOME (Paul Michali)