[Spambayes] SpamBayes proxy database corruption

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Aug 3 01:39:38 CEST 2004

> It seems that about once a month the database
> gets corrupted. I get the following mail header in my
> messages when this happens:
[DBRUN_RECOVERY error]

> I am using dbm storage option (I wish there was a
> SpamBayes-MySQL-HowTo out there!)

I think this will work (but it's a long time since I've done it):

 1.  Create a database for use with spambayes.
 2.  In your configuration file, change the "persistent_storage_file" option
to:
     user:username pass:password host:host dbname:database_name
     (but filling in the appropriate values.  Host defaults to "localhost",
and dbname defaults to "spambayes".  User defaults to "root" and password
defaults to "".
 3.  In your configuration file, change the "persistent_use_database" option
(or add it, if it's not there) to:
     mysql

Let us know if you run into troubles if you try this - we should probably be
able to figure them out.

> and I don't know how to run database recovery.

You can't.  The error message comes from the underlying bsddb system, but we
don't use it in such a way that the recovery tool would do any good.

You could also change to using a pickle (change the first option to some
filename like "hamme.pik" and the second to "pickle").

Can you think of anything unusual about your setup that might be causing
this?  We still get the occasional instance of this problem, but we don't
know what's left that might cause it.  (Other than multiple processes trying
to access the database at the same time, and interrupting SpamBayes while it
is training).

=Tony Meyer

---