[Spambayes] Problem with imap under linux.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Aug 3 15:26:00 CEST 2004

I have tried to read the documentation but I just don't understand the
answers below not in the answers to the questions in the followup
message. Let us start with these.
On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:14:38AM +1200, Tony Meyer wrote:
> > There is something I can't get working about imap under linux on the
> > client.
> > 1. To configure imap the user needs to run: sb_imapfilter.py -b
> > This will not work if sb_server is running since port 8880 is being
> > used.
>
> If you are trying to use both sb_server and sb_imapfilter, then you will
> need to run the web interfaces on different ports.  The [html_ui] port
> option controls this, so you can put it in the respective configuration
> files.  (Or you can use the -o command line option).
That is what I am trying to do. Where do you find the [html.ui] port
option other than in the Options.py file. What configuration files?
None are mentioned in the documentation that I could see. The only use
of a -o option I can find in sb_imapfilter.py is:
 -o section:option:value :
                           set [section, option] in the options
			   database to value

> > 2. Ok I stop sb_server and I can configure imap. But only root can
> > stop sb_server so what if some people users want to use pop and others
> > imap.
>
> sb_server and sb_imapfilter are both intended as tools for a single user.
> There are lots of issues with trying to use them for multiple users.  IAC, I
> believe the answer to the first question answers this.

The above answer confounds me. We have 1000 users on out clients. If
we are going to use spambayes for these users how can we do that if
the statement above is true. In the documentation there is an init.d
script for pop3 server under linux. That implies that everyone uses
the same server.
> > Rather I can use the Configure page, but configure folders to
> > filter or configure folders to train fails.
>
> What do you mean by "fails".  If there's an error message, we need to see
> it.
>
> > 3, When I run:sb_imapfilter.py -c -t -l 5
> > I get an error: Tried to select an invalid folder
>
> Then it sounds like you're selecting an invalid folder <wink>.  You need to
> be sure that the folder is correctly named (including the delimiters) in the
> configuration file.  This is difficult to do with IMAP, hence the config
> page doing it for you.  (So solving the problem with that is likely to solve
> the problem here).
>
> =Tony Meyer
Again a configuration file is mentioned. I can't find a mention of
such a file in the linux documentation at least. I don't think I have
seen it mentioned anywhere else. I must be really confused and I need
some assistance.  To be honest I don't think the use of spambayes
under Linux has been thought about enough. To me the mail folders are
files managed by the mail client. Can one really use your pop3 and
imap servers if you are using procmail?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University