[Spambayes] Upgrade problem

Jerome Lyles lylesj002 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 17:49:22 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 04 August 2004 02:37 pm, Tony Meyer wrote:
> > I recently upgraded to spambayes-1.0rc2 from spambayes-1.0a7.
> > At first everything worked fine but now spambayes isn't filtering
> > and when I try to train I get this error:
>
> [...]
>
> > DBRunRecoveryError: (-30978, 'DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error,
> > run database
> > recovery -- PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery')
>
> This means the database is dead.  The only solution is deleting it and
> retraining from scratch.  We're unclear on any remaining causes for this
> problem (apart from accessing the database from two processes
> simultaneously and failing to complete training for some reason (like power
> failure)).  If you can reproduce it reliably we'd be interested in hearing
> how - although I think our long term solution is to simply move to a
> different database system.

I haven't been able to reproduce this problem.  I did have  1.0a7 and 1.0rc2
in my home directory.  In any case, I reloaded 1.0rc2 and dumpted 1.0a7 but
the problem persists.  What is the name of the db file that's corrupted?
When I delete it is there anything I must do to generate a new one?

> Sometimes this problem takes a while to manifest (which makes debugging it
> even harder), so it's possible that the problem occurred with 1.0a7 (which
> IIRC still had some (now) known causes for this).  Hopefully it won't
> happen again.  (IAC, SpamBayes learns very quickly).
>

> > Also, how can I tell which version of spambayes I'm using?
>
> That depends which application you're using.  If it's the Outlook plug-in,
> then it's in the SpamBayes Manager dialog.  If it's sb_server, it's at the
> bottom of the web interface, and both sb_server and sb_imapfilter print out
> version info when run.  I'm not sure about sb_filter - I think you'd have
> to run python, do "import spambayes" and then "print
> spambayes.__version__".
>
> =Tony Meyer
>
> ---
> Please always include the list (spambayes at python.org) in your replies
> (reply-all),
I will.
> and please don't send me personal mail about SpamBayes. This
> way, you get everyone's help, and avoid a lack of replies when I'm busy.
I won't.

Thanks,
Jerome