[Spambayes] Problem with imap under linux -correction

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Aug 7 19:14:07 CEST 2004

>But you comment above seem to indicate that the
>mail sever should be running IMAP as well as the client running
>sb_imapfilter.py. You diagrams seem to indicate that sb_server.py and
>sb_imapfilter.py are the only IMAP and POP3 servers you need. Do you
>also need to have these servers running on the mail server. So are
>these sb_* programs really pop3 and imap clients not servers?
>Ok. I am confused but so is the other administrator that has been
>working on this spambayes project with me.

I misspoke above. What I meant to say is sb_server.py and
sb_imapfilter.py are POP3 and IMAP proxy servers. They act as clients
to the respective servers on the mail server but act as servers to the
users of the local machine.

Now here is the mystery that has giving me headaches. On a Windows
machine this seems straight forward since there is only one user or at
most one user at a time. On our Linux lab machines we have nearly
2,000 potential users on each client machine and their use can be
simultaneous on each machine. Now any of the 2,000 users can decide
independently that they want to use POP3 or IMAP. This together with
the suggestion that each user should use a separate server makes
things seem very messy and made it hard to believe that to run
spambayes we could have lets say 2 users using sb_server.py and 3
users using sb_imapfilter.py with each having their own proxy server
running on the local machine. Is this correct?

Now an offer. I was challenged to improve the Linux and Unix
documentation. I am willing to accept the challenge and send what I
feel would be clearer documentation of using spambayes on Linux and
Unix. You are free to reject what I write but I hope you would at
least consider the docs. It may take me a little time to get organized
on this project since I am planning to go to Ireland for three weeks.

Now a request to linux users of this project. Could you briefly tell
me how you deal with this multiple user problem on your machines?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.