[Spambayes] SpamBayes fails to start

Lauri Harpf webmaster at apromotionguide.com
Sun Aug 8 00:05:38 CEST 2004

Hello,

I've been using SpamBayes for quite a while now. Love it, it has been working fine, but have now encountered a bit of a problem with it. I defragmented my hard drive and before that, shut down all applications and services including SpamBayes so that the defragmentation process is not interrupted.

Restarted the computer to get everything back up, but SpamBayes fails to start. I get the icon to my tray with the red dot and when hovering over it with the cursor, the icon disappears. Attempts to start the server manually also fail.

The SpamBayesServer1.log contains the following information:

---
Service not availible. Using thread.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pop3proxy_tray.py", line 555, in ?
  File "pop3proxy_tray.py", line 551, in main
  File "pop3proxy_tray.py", line 197, in __init__
  File "pop3proxy_tray.py", line 431, in Start
  File "sb_server.pyc", line 876, in prepare
  File "sb_server.pyc", line 708, in prepare
  File "sb_server.pyc", line 756, in createWorkers
  File "spambayes\storage.pyc", line 681, in open_storage
  File "spambayes\storage.pyc", line 90, in __init__
  File "spambayes\storage.pyc", line 113, in load
EOFError
---

Some info about my system:

SpamBayes:

Version 1.0rc2, database storage method: pickle, caching messages: disabled (already satisfied with the filtering).

At "\Documents and Settings\(name)\Application Data\SpamBayes\Proxy" I have hammie.db (39kb), spambayes.messageinfo.db (645kb) and bayescustomize.ini (1kb), plus the three cache folders.

Python is 2.3b2, win32all build 153. I'm using Outlook Express, so pop3proxy, no Outlook plug-in.

OS:    Windows XP Professional SP1, Finnish

Additional software:

FAH4Console (running on the background as a Windows service that is started during boot, see http://fah.stanford.edu )
ZoneAlarm 5.1 (upgraded from 3.7, just in case it would help - no luck)
AntiVir 6.26 (see http://www.hbedv.com )
V2i Protector from Drive Image 7.0 is also running

Have tried disabling ZoneAlarm and AntiVir from starting up automatically during system boot, but doesn't seem to solve the issue.

Hopefully this information will help in getting to the bottom of this and possibly, prevent other users from encountering this error in the future. The software is so great, that it almost seems impossible to use my E-mail without it - without SpamBayes, I need to sort through about 400 spams a day, with it, maybe one or two.

- Lauri