[Spambayes] strange statement that sb_imapfilter.py is not a proxy server.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Aug 9 16:00:56 CEST 2004

> > This is at variance with the suggestion that the spambayes and or
> > python imap access is not being able to access the correct mail folders
> > because imap on the mail server is misconfigured.
>
> I did say that this would work.  It's only getting the list of available
> folders that is problematic.  Your mail client will most likely give you the
> same very large list here, too, unless it's only asking for a subset of
> folders.
>
> It's nothing to do with Python, and nothing to do with SpamBayes.  The way
> to demonstrate this is to telnet to the mail server, log in, and get the
> list.
>
> E.g.
>
> $ telnet
> telnet> o mail.example.com 143
> Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
> Connected to mail.example.com.

Tony,
The above statements are very strange. If you telnet to port 143 on a
linux machine you are not talking to the mail server (which is on port
25) but you are talking to the imap server. There is absolutely no
configuration on a linux imap server as to what folders to access.
There can't be since there is only one imap server and mail folders of
different users could be anywhere. Information on which folders to
access come from the mail client on the local client machine. Which` I
thought was the purpose of the configuration lines in the home
directory on the client under SpamBayes.

Since you confirm that sb_imapfilter.py talks to port 143 (that of imap)
on the mail server it seems to me that sb_imapfilter.py is a proxy
server just as sb_server.py is.

Did I understand you to say that after sb_imapfilter.py filters the
mail on the server then the mail is brought down to the client. How is
that done?  Or did I misunderstand you?
-
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science