[Spambayes] Imap use certainly is platform specific.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Aug 9 22:47:58 CEST 2004

It's nothing to do with Python, and nothing to do with SpamBayes.  The way
to demonstrate this is to telnet to the mail server, log in, and get the
list.

E.g.

$ telnet
telnet> o mail.example.com 143
Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
Connected to mail.example.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN] mail.example.com
IMAP4rev1 2003.339-cpanel at Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:51:56 +1200 (NZST)
0 login username password
0 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY UNSELECT
SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User username
authenticated
1 list "" *
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" ham_to_train
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" spam_to_train
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" spam
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" unsure
* LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
1 OK LIST completed
2 logout
* BYE mail.example.com IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
2 OK LOGOUT completed
Connection closed by foreign host.

I assure you that this problem is not platform specific at all.

I realize I am being a pain but the last statement above is simply not
true. When you execute these commands to a linux server the list command
returns 900 some lines which are all the files in my home directory.
Now imagine what happens when I go to the web interface and try to
check which files contain my mail, which contain spam, which contain
unsure. Each section of the display that allows you check boxes
of which there are three contains 900 entries to potentially be
checked.

I discussed this with our Windows system people and they are going to
check this out on the IMAP4 server (which, of course linux does not
use) and let me know what happens. I tried to do it myself but I don't
have a real mail account on the Windows mail server so I could not login.

Please someone who does spambayes on a linux or Unix system confirm or
correct my experience.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University