[Spambayes] Question about the Outlook add-in and theclassification of already filtered messages.

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 21:05:21 CEST 2004

To answer your summary question, running "Filter messages" with the "Score
messages, but don't perform filter action" will properly rescore all the
messages in the selected folders.  You can also use the "Show spam clues"
item to check the score of the currently selected message.

Now, why are the scores dropping instead of increasing?  You say "I get 10
new spammy messages in the junk folder, and I trained the 3 lowest scoring
spam as spam".  Did you really mean that you got 10 messages in your Unsure
folder?  If you really did mean that they are in the junk folder then the
only training option available is "Recover from Spam" which trains that the
message is good. If you trained the messages with "Recover from Spam" then
the scores of any similar messages would definately drop.

If you are in the Unsure folder and using "Delete as Spam" to train, then it
is not obvious why other spam scores would decrease.  If this happens
consistently then the best thing to do would be to capture the "Show spam
clues" output of one of these messages before training a similar one, and
then again afterwards.  You can then send both sets of clues to this list
and it might give us a better idea of what is going on.  Also, sending your
most recent logfiles as described in the Troubleshooting Guide could also be
helpful.

--
Kenny Pitt

  _____