[Spambayes] More ham than spam?

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 20:19:27 CEST 2004

Missy wrote:
> I am sorry I wasn't more clear.  I want to know how to train on
> errors and unsures.

Well, since you appear to be using the Outlook add-in, it actually takes a
bit of effort *not* to do "train on errors and unsures".  You're probably
doing it already without realizing it.

Training on errors and unsures basically means that if SpamBayes gets a
message right, you don't train on that message.  In the Outlook Add-in, you
must use the "Delete as Spam" or "Recover from Spam" buttons to train a
message, so just leave the message alone if you don't want it trained.

There are two types of messages that you want to train on:  unsures and
errors.  Unsures are easy to define.  This means any message that SpamBayes
puts in your "Unsure" or "Junk Suspects" folder.  When you select this
folder, you'll see both the Delete and Recover buttons on the SpamBayes
toolbar.  Use them to select the correct classification for each message.

Errors are messages that SpamBayes thinks it knows the right category for,
but it gets it wrong.  If SpamBayes puts a good message into your Spam
folder or leaves a spam message in your Inbox, then that's an error.  Again,
use the Delete and Recover buttons to correct the classification and the
message will be added to your training.  You'll notice that when you're in
the Spam folder SpamBayes only displays the Recover button, and when you're
in one of your normal folders such as Inbox SpamBayes only displays the
Delete button.

--
Kenny Pitt