[Spambayes] Spambayes not working as well as it used to

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 18:55:31 CET 2004

Nothing has changed in the latest version in terms of how SpamBayes decides
what is spam and what isn't.  However, if you just retrained then you have
changed the information that SpamBayes has available to base its decisions
on.

Training on "several thousand recent spam and good" messages is not
recommended.  Some detailed discussions of training strategies are available
on the SpamBayes wiki:

http://entrian.com/sbwiki/TrainingIdeas

One problem that we often see when people retrain SpamBayes on a large
number of existing messages is that they have far more spam messages than
they do good messages.  This produces an imbalance that can, particularly in
extreme cases, have a significant negative effect on accuracy.

If you could post the clues from a spam message that was left in your Inbox
(get the clues before training the message, please), that would be extremely
helpful in diagnosing your problem.

--
Kenny Pitt

  _____